Properly Grounded

You sure I need this antenna grounded? Oh, yeah, rocket scientists. You can bet your feedhorn!

Here’s a story from Long Grove, Illinois, via The Lake County News-Sun

Lightning that struck a home’s satellite dish Sunday night started a fire that caused about $25,000 damage, fire officials said Monday.

Long Grove Fire Protection District firefighters arrived at 2237 Stayton Lane about 9:19 p.m. and used about 600 gallons of water to extinguish a fire burning at the peak of the roof, officials said. Crews also used a fire extinguisher to put out some hot embers that fell into the attic.

The blaze apparently started when lightning struck a satellite dish on the roof and traveled throughout the house, officials said. The flames did not spread to other areas of the house, but the electrical surge burned out three electrical sockets and tripped eight circuit breakers.

The residents and their dog had already evacuated the house by the time crews arrived. There were no reported injuries.

And the video, too.

Tags: , ,